Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year!
My name is Mrs. Risner and this is my fourth year teaching at JJMS.
A little bit about me:
- I have a Bachelor’s Degree in English from UCLA and a Multiple Subject Credential and Master’s Degree in Education from Loyola Marymount University.
- I have taught elementary school (4th grade) and middle school (6th, 7th, and 8th grades.) This is my 9th year teaching.This is my second year teaching 6th grade and I thoroughly enjoy working with 6th graders as they acclimate to JJMS. Prior to teaching 6th grade, I taught 8th grade and therefore have a very clear picture of the qualities in a successful JJMS student that will be on track to culminate in three years. These three years will go by fast. Enjoy them and stay focused and you will succeed!
- I have a passion for reading! I am an active participant in two book clubs. One of my goals is to instill the value of reading in every student.
- My hobbies include reading, scrapbooking, and practicing yoga.
- I have two children, ages 15 and 13, and I have been married for 19 years. I live in the San Fernando Valley and find the Valley a wonderful place to raise a family.
I have extremely high expectations for classroom behavior and academic responsibility.
- I expect each student to come to class ready to learn by being prepared with the required school supplies.
- Supplies include:
- 2 pencils and eraser
- 3 pens in different colors (Ex: red, blue and black)
- Notebook paper
- Required reading book (current novel) and composition book
- Reader's Notebook
- Current Focus book
- Vocabulary book
- Choice reading book
- I expect each student to adhere to the school dress code.
- I expect each student to manage their behavior according to Carpe Diem.
We are a team. To succeed in middle school we must work as a team in the classroom, in the community, and in the home. I encourage students to talk to me and parents to communicate with me. I am here to educate each student so they will be a successful life-long learner.
- I am available for Tutoring at Lunch on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- I am often available before school and after school.
- Email me anytime at email@example.com
- Call the office to schedule parent/teacher/student meetings at (818) 882-2496